Beginning with macOS X, Apple has included a local display screen reader known as VoiceOver on its Macs and MacBooks. The function is designed to assist low-vision or blind customers navigate their computer systems — and the web — extra simply. It really works by studying aloud textual content descriptions of all the pieces that seems on the display screen, in addition to studying any displayed textual content. The know-how additionally permits customers to work together with parts on the display screen.
Whereas VoiceOver is primarily meant for these with visible impairments, it may be useful in many various eventualities — for instance, when you’re somebody who has a studying incapacity and prefers to take heed to textual content quite than learn it.
Apple has a complete person information that will get into the nitty-gritty of methods to use VoiceOver with refreshable braille shows and trackpad gestures, in addition to methods to customise the function to greatest fit your wants (e.g., studying pace, voice profile, enabling display screen curtain for privateness, and so on.). However when you’re simply getting began, listed below are a couple of simple methods to activate VoiceOver.
- Open System Preferences after which choose Accessibility. From the left-hand menu, within the Imaginative and prescient class, choose VoiceOver. Click on Allow VoiceOver. You too can click on the Open VoiceOver Coaching button to entry the Fast Begin coaching menu. Clicking the Open VoiceOver Utility button will open a menu the place you may customise options like studying pace and voice profiles.
- Press Command and the F5 button. This also needs to carry up a Welcome to VoiceOver window. Click on the Use VoiceOver button. Within the decrease left-hand nook, there’s a Study Extra button the place you will get the gist of primary instructions, learn the way the function works, and follow utilizing it successfully. You’ll be able to flip it off by urgent the identical keys after which clicking the “Flip Off VoiceOver” button.
- You probably have Siri enabled in your Mac, you may ask it to “Flip VoiceOver on” or “Flip VoiceOver off.” Should you don’t have Siri enabled, you go to the Apple Menu within the prime bar, choose System Preferences, after which click on the Siri icon. As soon as there, test the Allow Ask Siri field.
- Press Possibility + Command and F5 to carry up the Accessibility shortcut panel. Press the tab key till you hear the VoiceOver choice. Then press the house bar.
- There’s an alternate shortcut when you’re on macOS Huge Sur or later and your Mac has a TouchID button. Whereas holding the Command button, shortly press the TouchID button thrice. This additionally works in case your Magic Keyboard has a TouchID button.
You too can choose to have VoiceOver activate everytime you log onto the pc. To do that:
- Go to System Preferences.
- Choose Customers & Teams, then choose the Login Choices button on the backside of the person checklist.
- If the lock icon on the backside left is closed, enter your administrator password.
- Click on the Accessibility Choices button on the right-hand facet of the window.
- Test the VoiceOver field after which click on Apply.
VoiceOver isn’t the one accessibility function accessible on macOS. Should you’re fascinated with exploring different choices, try our macOS accessibility information right here.