March 22, 2022
Hen pictures with the OM System Olympus OM-1 – Novice Photographer’s On-line Editor, Joshua Waller, and Deputy On-line Editor, Jessica Miller spent a day photographing birds with Olympus/OMDS Ambassador, and AP Zoom Photograph Excursions information, Tesni Ward, with the brand-new OM System ‘Olympus’ OM-1.
Tesni Ward photographing birds with the OM-1
Tesni Ward utilizing the Olympus OM-1
Utilizing the OM System ‘Olympus’ OM-1, Tesni likes you could customise the digicam to your personal capturing wants. With the brand new OM-1, Tesni has observed quicker, and extra responsive autofocus (AF), in addition to notably improved chicken monitoring, which finds and locks on to the chicken’s eye.
Tesni additionally discovered the blackout free capturing, at upto 50fps with C-AF, extraordinarily helpful for monitoring transferring topics. The viewfinder can be considerably improved, giving a terrific view, and the improved climate sealing is of explicit profit when capturing in excessive situations. The digicam can be simple to make use of when carrying gloves.
Tesni has spent a whole lot of time watching and learning birds, and says one of the best ways to see them is in the actual world, so you may see and listen to them, and be taught their behaviour. This may assist you already know when one thing (like flight, flapping, and so forth) is coming so that you’re able to take the shot.
Prime settings to make use of when capturing wildlife with the OM-1:
- Setup a customized mode for particular capturing state of affairs e.g. birds
- Customise buttons to present faster entry to the AF mode wanted
- Customise the burst fee to swimsuit you, and be sure to know your digicam earlier than capturing
- Make sure the shutter pace is correct for the kind of capturing, and use burst mode so that you’re able to shoot no matter occurs
- Blackout free 50fps C-AF is superb for monitoring animals within the body
- Olympus / OMDS cameras are very customisable, which is nice, however might be complicated when you don’t know the digicam, and it’s price understanding earlier than capturing
OM System OM-1, 150-450mm at 207mm (TC off), 1/800s, ISO3200, f/6.3, Tesni Ward
Prime ideas for capturing birds and wildlife:
- Search for background color, and keep away from distraction
- Be ready for unhealthy climate, search for areas the place you may get higher color including curiosity into the background
- Watch the climate, as blue skies and vivid solar might be too harsh and make pictures tough
- Realizing your topic helps, so you may put together for when they’re about to fly, flap, or duck beneath water
- You’ll be able to at all times crop in publish however can’t un-crop when you’ve used an excessive amount of zoom
OM System OM-1, 150-450mm at 400mm (TC off), 1/1250s, ISO500, f/4.5, Tesni Ward
(Video) 120fps Steady Taking pictures with the OM System ‘Olympus’ OM-1
Be part of Tesni Ward on an AP Zoom Excursions occasion
Tesni Ward is operating various completely different photograph vacation excursions with Novice Photographer and Zoom Photograph Excursions, and you may get nice recommendation from Tesni, in addition to the chance to shoot a number of completely different birds and wildlife.
- A lot of nice ideas for how one can shoot birds in movement, together with how one can maintain the digicam secure and easy whereas capturing.
Discover out extra right here.
Joshua Wallerphotographing wildlife with the Olympus OM-1
The vari-angle touchscreen makes it simpler to shoot at low-angles
Utilizing the OM System ‘Olympus’ OM-1 for chicken pictures was notably simple, as soon as the digicam’s Hen Detection AF was setup. This was activated utilizing the digicam’s menus, however faster entry to this setting is feasible by customising the digicam.
The digicam is extraordinarily fast, and in some circumstances could also be too fast, for instance, I personally don’t have to shoot at 120fps, so opted for a slower steady capturing pace. In the event you do need to shoot at 120fps, then Professional Seize might help right here as it may shoot pictures earlier than you’ve even pressed the shutter launch button.
The digicam has a new AI (Synthetic Intelligence) auto-focus system that may detect a large variety of completely different topics. This mixed with the brand new Quad-pixel AF system, with 1053 AF factors protecting the sensor, makes for a particularly quick AF system, that may work at speeds as much as 50fps with steady AF monitoring – when used with particular Olympus PRO lenses.
AF settings for topic detection on the OM-1
(Video) OM System OM-1 vs. Canon R5 | Palms-On Subject Check | Gear Overview
How one can customise and setup Hen Detection AF on the OM-1
- Within the Menus – you’ll find the settings within the AF part, or you can too add “Topic Detection” to the MyMenu part for faster entry
- You’ll be able to setup a customized button so as to rapidly change the topic detection, by urgent the button and scrolling via the choices utilizing a command wheel
- Verify your steady capturing mode, you’ll want SH2 which allows steady AF and metering, and never SH1 (tremendous high-speed) – SH1 units AF to fastened / single-AF, relatively than steady
- Verify your AF setting is ready to C-AF + Monitoring
- You’ll be capable to see the monitoring seem in real-time on the display screen when the digicam detects the topic
OM System OM-1, 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4x TC, 210mm, 1/500s, ISO1250, F4 – Click on to view full-size JPEG photograph
Taking pictures wildlife with the digicam, and on this case, birds, was notably spectacular, because the digicam’s chicken detection AF system is extraordinarily fast, and dependable, locking onto the chicken’s eye, even when the chicken was darkish in color. The digicam additionally gave sharp detailed pictures, even when capturing wide-open at f4 with the 40-150mm f2.8 PRO lens and 1.4X Tele Converter.
Jessica Millerphotographing wildlife with the Olympus OM-1
Jessica Miller utilizing the OM System Olympus OM-1
I purchased my DSLR round six years in the past as a remaining 12 months college scholar simply moving into pictures. I’ve had loads of time to get to know my digicam nicely, so it’s fairly daunting to consider utilizing a special system.
When the chance to check out the Olympus OM-1 took place, I used to be fairly excited to present it a go. That is my first time utilizing the OM System and mirrorless expertise.
(Video) Cease Caring What Others Say – Evolve As A Photographer
OM System ’Olympus’ OM-1 IP53 weather-sealing coming in useful
On the day I took my DSLR digicam alongside to the shoot with Tesni – I actually observed the distinction once I switched between the 2. Firstly, the dimensions and weight. With the ability to maintain and grip the digicam comfortably is sort of an essential issue for me, and I additionally like to hold my digicam round wherever I’m.
The OM-1 physique is rather more compact than the DSLR, so total was simpler to deal with. My digicam with an 18-135mm lens connected collectively weighs over 1.1kg (the physique alone is just below 700g). Whereas the Olympus OM-1 physique by itself weighs 599g – with the 40-150mm f/2.8 lens and 1.4x TC we had been utilizing, weighs round 1010g.
Though there isn’t a lot distinction between the numbers right here, with an equal lens on the DSLR this might be a hefty digicam to hold round. Having much less weight in your shoulders actually feels extra interesting.
OM System OM-1, 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4x TC, 90mm, 1/640s, ISO640, F4 – Click on to view full-size JPEG photograph
One other issue I might be searching for in a brand new digicam can be how simple it’s to be taught and use. On this workshop we arrange the Hen Detection AF mode – which was a simple course of, and the menu itself was very user-friendly and nicely designed. The Hen Detection AF mode was notably useful in our scenario and fast to function and focus, making certain we received sharp pictures whether or not the chicken was stood nonetheless or in flight.
OM System OM-1, 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4x TC, 110mm, 1/500s, ISO1250, F4 – Click on to view full-size JPEG photograph
(Video) WOW… These are Panorama PHOTOGRAPHY Circumstances you HOPE to have EVERY day! OM SYSTEM OM-1 # 027
I had a go at utilizing my DSLR for photographing the identical birds, and the digicam felt gradual and clunky after utilizing the OM-1. General, I used to be very impressed with the system and the flexibility this digicam might have throughout completely different genres.
Learn our full OM System ‘Olympus’ OM-1 assessment
How one can edit your wildlife pictures (Tesni Ward)
CineStill reveals 400Dynamic movie in 35mm and 120 codecs
(Video) Why I am With Olympus: Tesni Ward